October Blog

                                                                                                                             Service Hours this Month: 4 

                                                                                                                             Total Hours: 4 

     For my service learning this month, I went and volunteered at Second Harvest Food Bank. This is something I have been doing since I was an undergrad at Tulane. I was first introduced to the bank by a family friend and ever since I have made an effort to try and take as many shifts throughout the year as I can. When volunteering with them, there are 2 main shifts, the packaging center, and the community kitchen. I personally enjoy working in the community kitchen prepping meals that are to be sent out to various schools, shelters, and long-term care facilities throughout the area. Louisiana has been hit hard these last couple of years with hurricanes and the pandemic. Each time I go into the bank, I am first reminded of how fortunate I have been, but also that there is always more work to be done. Second Harvest is an amazing organization and I encourage everyone to pick up a shift if possible as the work they do is so important, and every little bit helps. 

            On the academic side of things, the program is going great so far. What has been amazing for me is that the material we have been learning is so applicable to real-world problems. That to me has been a major difference between these classes and the so-called “pre-med” classes during undergrad. Further, what has been cool is as we continue to learn new drugs, I find myself recognizing many from conversations I have overheard my parents saying or even in TV shows and movies. I am excited to see what the rest of the program has to offer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Blog

September Blog